Definition of Stinking thinking: any type of negativity or 12 Step program member/s who revert to old patterns of thinking.
Synonyms of Stinking thinking: cynicism, defeatism, discouragement, gloomy outlook, negativism, pessimism, etc.
These notes are from recovery in AA and/or related 12 step programs. Readers are encouraged to click external links for more detail. We hope you find them helpful.
Love in fellowship.
Stinking thinking occurs when people are overly negative.
They may feel anger and resentment about their life.
They may tend to be pessimistic about the future.
This mode of thought is particular dangerous for people in recovery because:
* It increases the risk of relapse back to addiction.
* It prevents the individual from finding happiness in sobriety.
* People around them will suffer because of all this negativity.
* When people are locked into negativity they experience the bumps in life to be more painful and stressful.
* Negative thinking can prevent people from seeing the real cause of their suffering.
Negative Thinking as a self-fulfilling prophecy is where just predicting something helps cause it to occur. This is because people will change their behavior in light of the prediction. They may unconsciously create the conditions that allow the event to happen. | More…